The information on this page is subject to change daily. If there is new information or changes that need to be made, please contact [email protected].

Campus Operations

How do I reach the Office of Admission and Enrollment?

While campus may be closed, admission staff are ready to help.

Undergraduate applicants can visit the Undergraduate Admissions FAQ webpage or email [email protected].

Graduate applicants can visit the Graduate Admissions COVID-19 webpage or contact the academic department directly.

What areas of campus are closed?

Access to the Eugene McDermott Library, the Activity Center, Rec Center West and most other academic, administrative and research buildings is restricted to employees who are necessary to maintain our physical plant and research enterprise and to provide essential support services. These access restrictions are in place until further notice.

Why should I consider wearing a cloth face covering while on campus?

To minimize the spread of COVID-19, students, faculty and staff should follow the guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and detailed on the CDC’s cloth face coverings webpage Opens in a new tab.. In light of new data about how COVID-19 spreads, along with evidence of widespread COVID-19 illness in communities across the country, CDC recommends that people wear a cloth face covering to cover their nose and mouth in the community setting. This is to protect people around you if you are infected but do not have symptoms. CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.

Do I still need to stay at least 6 feet away from people on campus if I’m wearing a cloth face covering?

Yes. Wearing cloth face coverings is an additional public health measure that our UT Dallas community members can take to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The CDC still recommends that you avoid gatherings, stay at least 6 feet away from other people (social distancing), and adhere to frequent hand cleaning and other everyday preventive actions. A cloth face covering is not intended to protect the wearer, but it may prevent the spread of the virus from the wearer to others. This would be especially important if someone is infected but does not have symptoms.

What about campus transportation?

Campus shuttle bus service is available, but all riders age 2 and older will need to wear an appropriate face covering. Beginning Monday, April 20, the Comet Cruiser, DART Bus Route 883, will run a modified route and schedule. Visit the Comet Cruiser bus service page for more information about the changes. Comet Cabs, including accessible cart service, will not be operating during this time.

Are the University Bookstore and Tech Store open?

The bookstore is closed, but it is processing online orders and is offering curbside pickup in addition to ground shipping. The Tech Store is also closed but is still processing online orders and offering curbside pickup.

Is the library open?

The library is closed, but online resources including the library’s chat service are available through the library website.

Is the UT Dallas Police Department still operating on campus?

Yes. In an emergency, call 911. For nonemergency situations, patrol and dispatch can be reached at 972-883-2222. They will perform building entry assists for those who are authorized.

How is the University handling mail services?

Until further notice, please observe the following for continuity of the Mail Services and Central Receiving Department:

  • Minimum staff will be available in the warehouse to accept packages and mail deliveries.
  • All incoming mail will be sorted by department and stacked inside the warehouse.
  • Key department staff can pick up mail and parcels at the warehouse (must show Comet Card).

Mail Service and Central Receiving is located in the Service Building (SB 1.2). For all other mail and receiving concerns, please contact Central Receiving directly at [email protected] or 972-883-2779.

What steps are being taken to clean and disinfect the campus?

Facilities Management staff members are conducting thorough deep cleanings throughout all open areas of campus, paying special attention to high-traffic areas such as the McDermott Library, classrooms, restrooms, hallways, as well as Dining Hall West and the Food Court/Comet Café areas in the Student Union. Cleaning efforts include disinfecting and sanitizing all open surface tables and countertops, doorknobs, push plates and other high-touch objects, as well as using electrostatic cleaners that provide aerosol sanitation.

Are campus events canceled?

Due to changes in campus operations, many events have been canceled or moved online. Please check for updates on the Comet Calendar and confirm event details with the sponsoring department.

What is the status of Comet Sports?

The American Southwest Conference has canceled all conference athletics competitions and championship events for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year. Those include events for baseball, men’s and women’s golf, softball, men’s and women’s tennis.

Are University Recreation Facilities open?

No. Access to the Activity Center and Rec Center West is restricted to essential employees until further notice.

Is the University Career Center open?

The University Career Center’s office is closed, but virtual appointments and events can be found in Handshake, and all the office’s online resources are still available.

Students in the Naveen Jindal School of Management can access online career resources on the HireJSOM website.

What dining options are available on campus? Updated 5/22

The Dining Hall and Papa John’s closed May 8 and will remain closed throughout summer.

During the Summer Session, May 26 to August 12, Starbucks will be open for take-out orders only from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Visit UTD Dining Services for more information.

Starship robot delivery is unavailable.

Students & Parents

What should I do if I become sick?

The Student Health Center is closed. Students may call the afterhours nurse line, 972-883-2747, to speak to a registered nurse. If you think you’ve been exposed to the virus, please follow CDC guidelines Opens in a new tab..

If you have the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP), you have access to a nurse line and telehealth appointments. Specific information about UT SHIP can be found on the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas website.

Students who believe they have COVID-19 should notify the Dean of Students Office and their instructors. If you are living on campus, please notify a member of the University Housing staff immediately to work with you on the next steps.

What counseling resources are available?

UT Dallas is committed to its standing as a welcoming and diverse community. We encourage everyone to be mindful of the emotional and mental stress that can be caused by this evolving situation. Students may visit the Student Counseling Center website for information on how to access services. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call 911. If you are in crisis and need to speak to a mental health professional, call UTD TALK (972)-883-8255. There are additional links on the Helpful Links section on the main COVID-19 page.

What if I have traveled abroad or plan to travel abroad?

UT Dallas has suspended all University-related international travel and strongly discourages personal international travel. If you are returning from any international destination, you will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon your return.

How can I get emergency financial assistance? Updated 5/12

Emergency Aid is available to students through the federal CARES Act and the UT Dallas Student Emergency Financial Assistance Program. UT?Dallas has?established a website?with more detailed information about each of these funds, as well as other resources for students in need of assistance.

How can I get help with online classes?

Your instructors should contact you by regarding class updates and information on how your courses will be handled online. Instructors are the best source of information about classes.

Educational Technology Services offers resources for students including software and plug-ins used in online courses.

Students can access Adobe Creative Cloud Opens in a new tab. on their personal devices for free through May 31. For more information or assistance, contact the Office of Information Technology Help Desk.

If you need assistance navigating the transition to online learning and the University resources that are available to support you, email the Graduation Help Desk.

Will summer classes be online?


Will UT Dallas be waiving some student fees this summer? Added 5/12

Yes, the following student fees will be waived for summer 2020: Athletic, transportation, medical services, recreation facility and the student union.

I need my 1098T form to complete my income tax return. How can I get it?

1098T forms are available on the Heartland website Opens in a new tab.. Students who are unable to obtain the form through Heartland are requested to email the Bursar Office at [email protected]. We will assist you in the process or create the form.

Faculty & Staff

What should I do if I become sick?

Faculty and staff experiencing symptoms of illness should stay home. If you are concerned about the availability of sick leave, consult with your supervisor, who may then reach out to the Office of Human Resources for guidance. If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, please follow the steps outlined by the CDC Opens in a new tab..

What if I need to use sick leave due to COVID-19?

Beginning on April 1, 2020, UT Dallas will offer COVID-19 Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and Emergency Family and Medical Leave (EFML) to all eligible UT Dallas employees pursuant to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). The leave provided under the FFCRA does not modify an employee’s right to use sick or vacation time, as set forth in our current policies. Rather, these new provisions expand UTD’s employee benefits by requiring that UTD grant additional leave to certain employees due to COVID-19 through December 31, 2020. Read more about EPSL and EFML on the Administrative Continuity page.

Will UT SELECT and UT CONNECT provide coverage for COVID-19?

  • The UT SELECT, and UT CONNECT plan will not require prior authorization and will waive member copayments, coinsurance and deductibles associated with testing for COVID-19 when medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidance.
  • The UT SELECT and UT CONNECT plans will cover in-network medically necessary services at 100% for testing and treatment of COVID-19, including physician services, hospitalization, and emergency services. This means that members receiving medical care for COVID-19 from network providers and facilities should have no out-of-pocket costs. We hope all of you stay safe and healthy, but for our members and families who may need care during this unprecedented time, we hope this enhanced benefit offers some peace of mind. This significant change in medical coverage is a qualifying mid-year status change event that would allow an eligible individual to add the medical plan. To make changes, email the HR-Benefits Team at [email protected] by May 9, 2020.
  • For specific questions about your UT SELECT coverage, members should call your Blue Cross and Blue Shield health advocate at 866-882-2034. For UT CONNECT, please contact the CONNECT customer service team at 888-399-8889.
  • Virtual doctor visits through MDLIVE Opens in a new tab. continue to be available with no out-of-pocket costs and can be used when appropriate.
  • Any person experiencing illness should contact their doctor or MDLIVE.
  • All other UT Benefits programs will continue to operate according to the plan specifications outlined on the benefits website Opens in a new tab.. This includes dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance. For disability and life insurance purposes, COVID-19 will be considered just as any other illness.

For the latest updates, go to The University of Texas System Office of Employees Benefits COVID-19 webpage Opens in a new tab..

Are counseling services available?

Benefits-eligible employees have access to Deer Oaks EAP Services Opens in a new tab., an employee assistance program provider. The EAP benefit covers up to seven confidential, short-term counseling sessions per person, per issue, per year. Call 888-993-7650 for more information or a referral.

What technical resources are available for faculty and staff?

The Office of Information Technology has a Remote Work Resource Page with information on preparing to work remotely, and the Office of Information Security offers tips for working remotely.

For faculty, a web conference tool called Blackboard Collaborate is available on eLearning. For tutorials, visit this playlist Opens in a new tab.. If you need assistance, email [email protected].

OIT also will provide online training for Microsoft Teams and Office 365. Register for trainings to stay up-to-date and connected.

How can I find tips on moving my classes online including keeping online sessions secure?

Educational Technology Services has put together a Rapid Remote Teaching Resources page to assist faculty in transitioning from face-to-face to the online teaching environment. This page includes links to training, best practices and resources to help you collaborate online efficiently and securely.

How can I reach the Office of Development and Alumni Relations?

If you need to deliver a check to the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, a member of the team will be in the office on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon to accept donations. Call 972-883-3958, and someone will assist you.

If you need to reach a member of the team, you may contact them directly or leave a message at 972-883-2295. Messages will be checked and responded to regularly.

Can I still submit purchases?

EProcurement continues to be active and running. Please submit all purchases via eProcurement/Jaggaer on Galaxy where possible and send any purchasing questions to [email protected].

If you have a purchase related to COVID-19, please note COVID-19 in the Business Justification/Internal Notes on the requisition and check the new COVID-19 box on the requisition. For assistance, email [email protected].

What professional development resources are available?

The Office of Human Resources has compiled a list of free professional development resources that may be helpful for those who are working remotely. They can be found on the Administration Continuity Page.

Where I can find out about the impact on University research and labs?

Go to the Research Continuity page for more information on research, campus and environmental safety plus a list of frequently asked questions.